NCTE Session Spotlight: Connect ALL Students to the Language and Humor of A Midsummer Night’s Dream

OK, NCTE friends: Learn all about the third of our five NCTE 2017 convention sessions:

“Connect ALL Students to the Language and Humor of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

The whole scoop on this lively session is below, and if you can’t make it to St. Louis this year, stay connected to all of the action by following us on Twitter (@FolgerED and #NCTE17). We’ll be sharing handouts and resources from all of our NCTE 2017 sessions in a special way… please stay tuned for more on that!

Session C: Connect ALL Students to the Language and Humor of A Midsummer Night’s Dream
When: 12:30 pm – 1:45 pm
Where: Room 220
Who: Corinne Viglietta (DC), Michael LoMonico (DC/NY), and Jessica Cakrasenjaya (IA)

Master techniques that get students speaking and moving and figuring out the language of Midsummer actively and on their own—from pre-reading exercises to during-reading approaches that propel students through this comedy. Learn essential Folger strategies for engaging ALL students in wildly lively and rigorous close reading of Puck’s language, Bottom and his pals, and lots in between.

Jessica Cakrasenjaya teaches English at Ames High School in Ames, Iowa. She currently teaches freshman and junior English, but is also staying busy by being the NHS, chess club, multicultural vision progress club, and prom sponsor! Jess joined the Folger family in 2014 during the Teaching Shakespeare Institute, and she says, “I honestly don’t know what or where I would be without them! The Folger family has changed my life professionally and personally. If you feel like throwing me a shoutout, reach me @Ms_Cakrasenjaya on Twitter!”

Michael LoMonico is a consultant on national education for the Folger Shakespeare Library and a longtime teacher and teacher of teachers. A veteran faculty member of our Teaching Shakespeare Institute, Mike has been involved with the Folger since in 1986 and has led workshops for teachers and students in 38 states and abroad. He is the author of the YA novel That Shakespeare Kid and a member of the executive board of the Shakespeare Theater Association. In his previous life, he taught high school English on Long Island and English Methods at Stony Brook University.

Corinne Viglietta is Assistant Director of Education at Folger Shakespeare Library. I’m also the person writing this blog, a former classroom teacher who saw firsthand how the Folger method transforms teaching and learning. (Side note: it was my students who made me fall in love with this Shakespeare guy.) After years of using it with all kinds of students in all kinds of settings, I wanted to share it with everyone. At the Folger I get to learn a ton of new and exciting things, and I am honored to work alongside teachers on instruction that grows students’ knowledge and confidence as readers, writers, speakers, and listeners—and makes us all fall in love with language over and over again. Twitter: @CorinneVigliett

• Hi – I receive Folger info, after signing up last year on a short visit, but haven’t yet cracked how to download resources / notes from presentations. I run a Shakespeare in the Schools program through UCSB, where I also teach Shakespeare for actors. I’d love to learn more about how to access teaching materials for some new initiatives into elementary schools. thank you – HS

• Hi, Heather. Feel free to send me an email at cviglietta[at]folger.edu (Corinne Viglietta, Asst. Director of Education)