Let’s get together in Atlanta! Folger Education, along with loads of teachers in our big, nationwide family, is heading to the Annual Convention of the National Council of Teachers of English, and we’re sticking around to present at the CEL Convention, too. We want to connect with you and your colleagues and see how we can support your work—the most important work on earth.
Hop on the NCTE shuttle to Emory University to see a First Folio from the Folger vault and participate in a jam-packed Folger workshop for teachers. Join our lively sessions on Friday and Saturday. Chat with us and Folger Teaching Shakespeare Institute alums in our buzzing booth (#428). Come to a site TBD (the GWCC or the CNN Center) for a wild Hamlet flash mob, and you just might end up on TV!
Whether you’re an old or new friend, we’re pining for you (Romeo, anyone?) and sending you our warmest invitation to find us in Atlanta. Here’s how:
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17
- Two special sessions with the First Folio, which will be exhibited at Emory University. These are free to NCTE conference registrants (no extra cost) and NCTE will bus you back and forth from the conference site to Emory. Learn more and register here. Peggy O’Brien, Mike LoMonico, and Skip Nicholson will be leading these sessions. We’d love to see you there.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18
- Folger Shakespeare Library leads four separate sessions in Room B407; they will run one after another from 9:30am until 3:45pm:
- A Session: How to Get Students Learning and Loving Shakespeare on Day One
- B Session: Students Close-Read a Scene, on Their Feet and on Their Own
- C Session: Putting Shakespeare’s Language on its Feet—and Writing about It Meaningfully
- D Session: Make Shakespeare’s Language Familiar, Exciting, and Rewarding for ALL (with special attention to the needs of English Learners)
- Our booth in the hall opens at noon! Stop by #428, where it’s all happening from 12:00-6:00 pm.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 19
- F Session: Shakespeare Is for Everyone—a Hands-on Workshop in Differentiation (also in Room B407)
- Folger booth buzzes from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Flash mob. CNN. Hamlet. You. Gather at 5:00pm to a location TBD and together we’ll make some Shakespearean magic happen—and have a good shot at getting on TV. The first 100 flash mobsters get a free Folger Edition of Hamlet!
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 20
- Folger booth buzzes from 8:00am to 1:00pm.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21
- At 11:15am, Peggy O’Brien and Mike LoMonico lead a CEL session on improving how Shakespeare is taught and learned.
- Forever after: Let’s stay close and keep on collaborating and transforming together!