A Festival of Learning: Student Reflections

By Folger Education

Hey, everyone! Since you can’t be here for the Secondary School Shakespeare Festival, we thought we’d share some glimpses into all this magic. Here’s what our fabulous Festival-goers have to say about their time with Shakespeare’s language and one another.

“When I found out we were performing Shakespeare, I was not sure how I felt. As we rehearsed I started to really enjoy it.”  –Maddie, student

“This was my first time at the Folger Festival and my school did Julius Caesar. I really enjoyed working on the Folger stage and getting to see all of the other schools perform their pieces. I especially liked the feedback that we got from the judges. I also had a lot of fun participating in the activities in between pieces. I actually thought those were really helpful because they helped people relax before they had to go onstage. I was a little nervous beforehand, but the people at the Folger made me feel comfortable onstage. I also really liked the awards ceremony. I thought that all of the awards were really creative. Overall, I loved the festival, and I will definitely be coming back next year, whether as an ensemble member or as part of the audience.” – Lela, student

“Thank you for the day, and thank you for the opportunity to share our excitement! – Susan, teacher

“On the bus ride to the Folger I was nervous, but really excited.”  – Olivia, student

“It was an honor to perform one of Shakespeare’s plays. I felt proud of myself for standing up on stage in front of strangers and my family.”  –Sebastian, student

“My overall Shakespeare experience was incredible! “  –Hanna, student

“Going to the Folger and performing Julius Caesar was truly a special experience.” –Teny, student

“I learned there are ‘No small parts.’” –Matthew, student

“It was interesting to see how other kids interpreted Shakespeare’s language.”   –Sebastian, student

“I thoroughly enjoyed the peer comments. Giving and receiving constructive criticism was rewarding.”  –Jorgen, student

“My favorite acting game was 30 second Hamlet.” –Caroline, student

“After our performance it was incredible to receive comments from such accomplished actresses.”  –Beyer, student

“My respect towards Shakespeare greatly increased while preparing our play.” –Alex, student

“It was exciting to perform on a professional stage and I hope I can do it again.” –Niya, student

Thanks again, students and teachers, for bringing your talents and energy to the Folger. We love learning with you!