Hurricanes and Introverts: Summer Reading, Contd.

[getty src=”108359561?et=EDS6Lgs_QM1Y1obLqsNjDA&sig=1x1jsq4TGaYkj-5EpGtCwEc1DNihofPS6TVXmNGlJ2o=” width=”478″ height=”407″]

Our summer reading recommendations for English teachers (by English teachers) continue. Check out these fiction and non-fiction picks:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by Jon Irving

“I fell in love with the characters, all of them, and spent days thinking about the book after I’d closed the cover. Strong, beautiful, thoughtful language and imagery.” –Gina Voskov

Isaac’s Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Storm in History by Erik Larson

“This is a story of science, nature, and the power of water, all wrapped up in a love story. Or the other way around. It documents the massive flood in Galveston, TX in 1900 that killed thousands. Absolutely gripping.”  –Gina Voskov

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

“When I started Ocean, I was worried that the novel was going to be just another story about a dysfunctional family, but then it took a mystical turn that left me startled and captivated.  Part of the joy of this experience was listening to an audio version, read by Gaiman himself.  His rich voice and his surprising tale about a man remembering his boyhood encounter with immortals make Gaiman a compelling storyteller.” –Sue Biondo-Hench

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain

“This work of nonfiction explores how our country has transformed itself from a culture built on character to one built on personality.  Through stories, research, and interviews, Cain invites the reader to reconsider the power and importance of introverts.” –Sue Biondo-Hench

Moby-Duck by Donovan Hohn

“I teach Moby-Dick in my AP class. A former student emailed me after her first semester of college and mentioned a book called Moby-Duck by Donovan Hohn which she had to read for her science class. It’s an investigation into environmental plastic pollution and bath toys lost at sea. It’s enjoyable and educational.” –Mike Klein

The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore

“I also recommend Christopher Moore’s books. He wrote Fool, King Lear retold as a novel through the fool. He has a new book out this spring called The Serpent of Venice, featuring the return of Pocket, the fool from Fool. His writing is fun and ridiculously blue.” –Mike Klein

One Comment

• Many quotes widely attributed to Shakespeare are not his. Including: “Maids want nothing but husbands, and when they have them, they want everything.” As a teaching site I laud both your intent and content (with the above exception). A suggestion: quotes should reference the source (play including act and scene, sonnet, letter…)