Summer and Shakespeare

“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” writes the Bard.  With summer approaching, we’re probably all thinking about spending some lazy days on the beach or in the backyard, enjoying being outside of the classroom and away from all of the administrative tasks that come with teaching.  While summer is a time for resting and recharging ourselves after a long academic year, it is also a time for giving thought to what we will be doing in our classrooms come September.  Summer is also a great time to read a play, attend a conference, rework a lesson plan. What are your plans for including Shakespeare in your summer reading, lesson plan preparation, and/or theatre schedule?

• I finally made it to the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, VA, last summer, so my goal this summer is to see Bard on the Beach in Vancouver, BC. I’m also hoping to see the Shakespeare High documentary, and would love to arrange a Shakespeare High field trip to see the movie!

• Sounds like a great summer — seeing the Bard on the Beach in Vancouver, BC. I’ll definitely be seeing Shakespeare at the Shakespeare Theatre of NJ.