Varsity Shakespeare 2016

Check out what this year’s Lily McKee High School Fellows have been up to! Since September, 16 high school students from 15 public, independent, and home schools all over the DC region have been gathering here at the Folger 1-2 times a week to do all kinds of cool stuff, including conducting original research in the Folger collection, putting scenes from Othello and As You Like It on their feet, seeing live theatre at the Folger and at Chesapeake Shakespeare, and having seminars with leading experts on Shakespeare, performance, history, and literature. I’m completely honored and lucky to be their head teacher (their collaborator and superfan, really) for this adventure. We’ll write again soon with more updates from the field! In the meantime, check out #varsityshx on Twitter or the photos below:

We hope you’ll enjoy this slice of their intense—and intensely joyful—life!

• Sheridan,

We do tons of work on the road and online. Can we connect with you and your students somehow? Let’s talk.

– Corinne Viglietta, cviglietta(at)folger.edu

• I would love to connect. I was the one who talked to you at the NCTE – I’m from Michigan. I would love to set up a date for your team to do a workshop in Kent County. I’m working on my doctorate on the teaching of Shakespeare – so much of my research is through the Folger! I’m looking forward to talking with you – possibly sometime after Christmas?