Teaching ‘Macbeth’ in the Digital Age

For the next few weeks, @folgerlibrary is teaming up with @NCTE and Ben Herold, @BenjaminBHerold reporter for Education Week, to learn from all of you your best thinking on teaching Macbeth. Ben is working on an article that will appear in Ed Week in early November. He needs to learn directly from you—you in classrooms every day, the real experts—and we couldn’t be happier to spread the word!

Jump in with us right now:

• Follow and join in at #teachmacbeth on Twitter.
  • Exhort your friends and colleagues to do likewise!
  • Ben will tweet a couple of big questions a week over the next few weeks.  Answer via twitter, or, if twitter is not your thing, email Ben directly at bherold@epe.org.
  • Pay avid attention!  We’ll all learn so much from each other!
  • When his article comes out—part of a special section on literacy—we’ll all have loads to talk about.

Ben launched #teachmacbeth on Monday with the Ed Week blog post below. Check it out for more information.  Then get busy slicing your wisdom into lovely 140-character bits.

Double Double…

Teaching ‘Macbeth’ in the Digital Age: EdWeek Wants to Hear From You
By Benjamin Herold

I haven’t read Shakespeare in almost (gulp) 25 years, and I’m admittedly a bit sporadic about using Twitter.

But beginning today, I’ll be diving in on both, as I report a piece for Education Week’s upcoming special report on “the changing face of literacy.”

My assignment: to understand how technology is changing the ways teachers teach classic literature.

One way I’ll go about that: spending time with a 10th grade English class that is reading “Macbeth,” using one of the new digital reading platforms that is gaining popularity in schools.

I’ll also be re-reading the classic William Shakespeare play for the first time since my own long-ago high school days.

And, I want to hear from you!

Over the next few weeks, Education Week, the National Council of Teachers of English, and theFolger Shakespeare Library will work together to fuel a conversation with teachers from around the country. We want to learn about your experiences reading and teaching “Macbeth”—your tips and lessons learned, your joys and pains, how you overcome common challenges, and any ways in which you use technology to bring this 500-year-old masterpiece to life for today’s students.

Your input will help shape our story, which will be published in early November.

Much of our conversation will take place on Twitter, using the hashtag #teachmacbeth:

edweek-2

Each week, we’ll throw out a couple of big topics, then have an informal conversation in between. Our first question:

edweek-1

Don’t forget to use #teachmacbeth in your Twitter replies. You can also share your thoughts in the comments of this blog post, or email me directly at bherold@epe.org.

We’re looking forward to the conversation!

One Comment