A Message from Bob Young

Dear Colleagues,

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I shall be retiring from the Folger effective June 30th. It has been a privilege to serve as the first Director of Education since it became its own division at the Library in 2007. In the almost six years that Education has been its own division at the Folger, we have made significant gains in our national outreach, sharing our resources on teaching Shakespeare, in one way or another, with as many as 1.8 million teachers, and pushing further into the digital sphere to bring new resources for teaching Shakespeare to classrooms across the country and around the world.

Your efforts to help unlock the magic of Shakespeare’s language for your students have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. These are challenging times for teachers and students in classrooms across the country. The work you do in classrooms every day is so important. I salute you!

Peggy O’Brien, appointed to be the next Director of Education, has a long history with Folger Education, and I know that under her leadership Folger Education will continue to provide teachers with the best resources and programs for bringing Shakespeare to life for students everywhere.

Best wishes for a wonderful summer.

Bob Young has been a fantastic leader in Folger Education’s transition as its own independent division at the Folger Shakespeare Library. He’s tirelessly attended conferences, workshops, meetups, webinars and programs across the country and the world on behalf of Folger Education. Please leave your kind words here to share with him as he begins his next transition as our trusted friend and strong advocate for performance-based teaching (and Titus Andronicus!)

• Dear Bob,
    You are great. I have not always understood all of the computer goings on but I knew they were incredible.. Thanks for bring the Folger into the 21;st century. I have had some of theteachers on my tour tell me how impressed they are with the Folger’s material…
    Good luck and do come to see us.